Down on the Farm with Sue Glasco

Things Are Ducky at Swallow Lake

For Writers
Bits and Bytes About Writers
Our Location
Trail of Tears
Duck News
Long Ago Ways
Summertime Visitors
Books and Stuff
Martin Family History
Glasco Family History
Woodsong Poetry
Links to other area writers, etc.

July 2009 Update

With only one hen duck left after winter, we have had no nests at the house this year.  She hatched a nest down by the lake, but after a few days, we no longer saw the baby ducks, so we assume a predator got them.  We don't know what happened to the other female ducks either, but we have several drakes.  And we still have a number of geese on the lake.   It might have been an osprey, but I was convinced I saw an eagle on the dead tree down by the lake this spring.  A day or two later, there was a pair, but then they did not return.

May 4, 2008

As feared, the nest in the new bulb garden was destroyed.  However, the good news is that Gerald has discovered a l0-egg nest at the end of the day lilies. It was so well hidden that even though I walked by it looking for nests yesterday, I did not see it. He also found a nest yesterday in the iris bed right in front of our patio.  We've not had a nest there before. I hope the predators can't find it.  I wonder if they can smell these nests. Or do they simply sit somewhere and watch where the ducks go?  HMMMM. 

April 22, 2008
Same ole. Same ole.  The ducks came back to favorite nesting spots in azalea bushes at front of the house and beneath our bedroom window.  Eggs began accumulating and mother duck sat patiently.  Then we visited the nests to see the eggs all broken up and the mother's work destroyed.  We have grown hardened to this. 
There are still eggs in a new nesting spot in Gerald's new flowering bulb garden.  How long will they be undiscovered by the hungry predators?  We are afraid to get our hopes up.
This spring we had a huge flock of canvas backs join our mallards on the lake.  Eventually most left.  But a small group have stayed with us.  They are so pretty showing off their white backs as they swim the lake.  They are dippers and feed there, so they do not wander in the yard like the mallards and geese do.

March 20, 2006--We have two duck nests on both sides of our house.  Twice we have looked out and saw a single egg lying in the grass and not in a nest.  Brother Keith says that is an infertile egg that a mama duck has dropped there rather than put in her nest.  I wonder how she knew it was infertile.  HMMM.
Although four duck nests are exciting, we have learned the hard way not to count our ducks before they hatch.  We have also already had broken shells where some no-count has eaten eggs.  So we know the varmints are out there and hungry as always for a breakfast egg.

The ducks spent the winter in 04-05.
Come on in! The water's fine!

May 30, 05.  Gerald has built a little pen out in the lake beside the ducklings and goslings' cage so they can become acclimated to to the water.  They are no longer yellow and they are getting quite big.  The goose on the island has only three good eggs left out of six.
May 20, 05, Duckling update!  The twelve that Gerald put under a light in the shop are thriving.  He aded three baby goslings to their pen when his brother Keith returned the the three that hatched after Gerald had asked Keith to put six deserted goose eggs in his incubator.  Today he moved their pen down by the lake where they can feel the grass through the wire floor of the pen.  They seem happy at this new kindergarten.
The twelve ducklings born in one of the posted barrells out on the lake weren't so fortunate.  Gerald did see them and their mama  with his binoculars  still alive one day after their birth.  We never saw them again.
Gerald is now watching another nest by the house and another in a second barrell nest.  And there is another mama goose setting on the island.

Ducklings Birth Announcement -- May 8, 05
For those who came to our yard sale and watched the mama mallard on her nest beside our house, let me share the good news.  On Mother's Day, Gerald walked out to see 12 ducklings snuggling in the nest.  They are now under a light in his shop growing rapidly.   We hope they will soon be strong enough to release on the lake without a bass or turtle pulling them under for their breakfast. 
He also discovered Sunday that another nest was hatched in one of the barrells, and little heads were sticking out.   A trip there tonight reveals an empty nest and the boat ride around the lake did not let us find them.  Gerald thought he heard baby ducks, however, so maybe they are surviving.

The following story appeared in the 2004 edition of Stories and Poems by Members of the Southern Illinois Writers Guild:

Things Are Ducky at Swallow Lake
Keith, my husband's brother, is the family poultry specialist.  He arrived at Swallow Lake with a laughing apology:  "I know you said not to bring a housewarming gift."  Then he explained he had already promised to bring Gerald this gift of six ducks for our little lake.
The lake was iced at the time, and one duck immediately got herself splee-legged on the ice.  Gerald went onto the ice and rescued her, but she was weakened.  The next day she was gone.  Keith had warned that a coyote or a hawk might have her for his middle-of-the-night snack.  Thus, began Gerald's pursuit of successful duck husbandry.
Not wanting anymore caught by the coyotes, Gerald became super vigilant, taking care of the remaining five ducks making sure they had corn and a safe place to go off the ice when the lake completely frozen over.  Watching those five ducks became Gerald's premiere winter and spring leisure time occupation and the object of much conversation.
Seeing them line up and swim the length and breadth of the lake leaving the trail of their wake behind them was indeed a beautiful sight.  When wild ducks flew in to join them, we became excited and grieved when they flew away.
Despite our pleasure at watching them, I was somewhat nervous when I heard Gerald talking to them from the deck one morning, "Come here, little ducky, ducky, ducky."  His summons brought back unhappy memories.  Our only foray into raising waterfowl a good many years ago when we lived over at the other farm ended in disaster, and consequently I really do not want our little ducky, ducky, duckies coming up to my patio.
Once we had two beautiful white geese given to us by Keith.
The summer our son got married, Keith had given us two beautiful white geese, which we named Geronimo and Victoria in honor of the bridal couple, Gerry and Vickie.  All went well, and we did so enjoy the sight of them on the pond bank by the house.   I was even tolerant when they started coming closer and into the garden.  But as August and the wedding date approached, they became more and more bold.  Soon they were on the porch leaving behind what they could not help, but neither could I help but dislike the leavings.  By this time friends were coming and dropping off wedding gifts for the couple.
Our 17-year-old artist daughter Jeannie had been commissioned to do an art project and was being paid for it by our neighbor, who was teaching Lamaze birthing classes at that time.  Thus, once more our family room floor was covered as in the past with her artwork.  As the gifts started increasing, I opened up a Ping-Pong table in there to display the gifts.
By this time Geronimo and Victoria were very much doing their thing, and friends and neighbors were having to step carefully both on the porch and inside the family room filled with Jeannie's large poster board drawings all over the floor.  We had lived with the posters all summer and grown quite used to them as she corrected and added and made yet one more poster for the series of teaching aides.  Only after the fact, did we realize that the subject matter--the life-size exhibit of the birth canal and its developing infant--might have been a little shocking to our kind gift-bearing neighbors.
Jeannie earned her first money as an artist.
Finally the posters were completed and paid for--Jeannie's first money earned as an artist.  The neighbor came and got the posters and even volunteered to take Geronimo and Victoria off our hands and put them on their pond, which was a little further from their house than ours was.  I gladly relinquished the geese and the posters.  So with these memories in mind, I began to shush Gerald's wooing of the ducks and reiterate that these birds have to stay at the lakeside and not come up to my house.
After one entire family of babies disappeared the first day down at the lake, his winter dreams of all the little ones he hoped to be hatched were foiled.  But he got busy with lumber and empty oil drums to create floating maternity wards to keep predators away.  Finally succeeding in seeing eggs hatch and then watching those tiny ducks grow into nine beautiful adolescent ducks was a first-summer pleasure.  Seeing them take flight for the first time was a late summer thrill our first year here.
A sterile wild white duck joins ours.
Also that first summer, a wild white duck joined our brown ones, and a grandchild named her Aflack.  At first she was shunned by the other ducks, and I suffered her social stigma with her.  However, although sterile, she lay in their floating nests and helped the other mother ducks with setting.  They began to allow her to swim with them.  Her eggs were a different color, and Gerald would bring them to the house for me to fry for the grandkids, who thought one of Aflack's eggs was a special treat.
All good things end and when winter came, the parents and young ducks and Aflack all took off for warmer climes.  Although we never saw Aflack again, the next summer some returned so we liked to believe they were "our" ducks.  Unfortunately, by the second summer, the racoons and opossums began to swim to the floating duck nests and take their breakfast.  Gerald was very disturbed.
So we were all delighted on Mother's Day standing on our front porch, when we looked down and saw a nest with one egg right against the foundation in the corner flowerbed.  Since we had grandkids coming to spend the summer, we couldn't help getting excited at the prospect of baby ducks so close.  We watched until there were eleven eggs, and the day before the grandchildren were to arrive, Gerald let out his beloved bird dog for a romp and its usual joyful swim in the lake.  Sadly, King found the nest beside the house and reacted with natural instinct and ate the eggs.  Gerald reacted with his natural instinct and gave his prized bird dog back to our son to use at his hunting lodge in Mexico.  To thoroughly express his anger, he removed the dog pen.
We did finally see a nest or two hatch and grow up last summer, and with the mild winter, most of the ducks stayed with us all year.  Especially pleasing was the day the wild geese came and joined the ducks and surprised us by staying on until the end of May.
Varmints get smarter about the floating duck nests.
Now in our third summer here, once again Gerald is spending an inordinate amount of time suprervising hatching ducks.  Once again, not only did the varmints find the nests in the grass beside the lake, they also fed off the nests floating in the water.  He grew more and more depressed as eggs disappeared as soon as they accumulated.  Twice he found dead mama ducks beside the lake, where evidently they had tried to fight off the marauding animals.
You can imagine his elation when he found we had three nests created and being filled up against the foundations of our house.  So far the ducks have stayed off our patio, but I am not sure I could run them off if they appeared there.  As I told the grandchildren, if we bother Grandpa's mama ducks, we might end up in Mexico with King.
Copyright 2004 Sue Glasco

One of Gerald's floating duck nests.
Unfortunately, the raccoons and opposums can swim too.